Elbow pain is an inflammation of the elbow joint. There are many causes for elbow pain, and most of them are related to the muscles in the forearm and arm. Elbow pain can be caused by:
- Overuse injuries such as tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome
- Performing repetitive tasks
- Physical activity and sports
- Occupational hazards
- Trauma to the elbow joint from a fall or motor vehicle accident
- Other causes.
- Swelling and redness
- Deformity of the elbow joint
- Limited range of motion in the elbow joint
- Arthritis, which can cause inflammation which leads to pain and swelling in the elbows
Common treatment options
- Rest and ice application is helpful with mild elbow pain or discomfort.
- Activity modification when performing certain tasks can reduce the risk.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen can alleviate mild to moderate pain.
- Some treatments involve using a brace, using an elbow splint, or resting the arm in a sling.
- Therapies like physical therapy and massage also work.